Mission 1: Prepare professionals for careers in the public and nonprofit sectors and those roles within the private sector relating to public service. The Department of Public Policy and Administration has a dual educational mission: (a) to teach our students about policy and the policy process; (b) to teach our students about public management. In both of these mission areas the Department aims to teach core content and general and specific competencies.
- Goal 1: To educate Department students in the essential concepts, analytical frameworks, theoretical perspectives, and organizational and decision-making environments and processes involved in public policy and administration.
- Goal 2: To provide Department students specialized, substantive knowledge in their chosen field of concentration that draws upon the strengths of the School of Law, University of Medicine and Dentistry, Business School, and other disciplines with the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Goal 3: To educate Department students in analytic and managerial competencies and tools utilized in public service.
- Goal 4: To provide Department students with opportunities to apply and refine their conceptual and technical knowledge and skills.
- Goal 5: To facilitate professional development and advancement for students and alumni.
- Goal 6: To foster multidisciplinary learning through in-class and out-of-class interactions of diverse students, faculty and practitioners.