The Masters programs in Criminal Justice and in Public Administration offer a 48-credit accelerated curriculum leading to the MA and MPA degrees. Special application procedures apply: Students must apply to and be accepted into both Masters programs. For course selection, admitted students must consult with the Graduate Directors of both programs.
Criminal Justice Core Courses (9 credits)
- 56:202:500 Policy Analysis in Criminal Justice
- 56:202:600 Research Methods in Criminal Justice
- 56:202:601 Data Analysis for Criminal Justice
Criminal Justice Elective Courses (12 credits)
Approved courses include:
- 56:202:510 Criminal Justice Issues and Trends
- 56:202:513 Criminology
- 56:202:522 Juvenile Justice
- 56:202:529 Law and Society
- 56:202:540 Victimology
- 56:202:552 Community Corrections
- 56:202:573 Violent Crime
- 56:202:605 Gender, Crime and Justice
Public Administration Core Courses (15 credits)
- 56:834:515 Introduction to Public Budgeting & Finance
- 56:834:525 Principles of Public and Nonprofit Management
- 56:834:536 Public Information Systems
- 56:834:553 Financial Management of Public Programs
- 56:834:557 Human Resources Management
Pubic Administration Electives (12 credits)
Select the courses from:
- 56:834:503 Law and Public Policy
- 56:834:505 Organizational Behavior
- 56:834:559 Ethics in the Public Sector
- 56:834:570 Labor-Management Relations in the Private & Public Sectors
Download a PDF of the current CJ MA/ MPA accelerated Degree Worksheet – Spring 2020. In addition to completing 48 credits, accelerated degree students must also write and successfully defend a thesis or pass comprehensive examinations in criminal justice policy analysis, research methods, data analysis, and an elective area.
Students admitted prior to Spring 2020 may elect to use the requirements in place at the time of their admission. To see the prior 2017 degree requirements, download a PDF of the 2017 CJ MA/MPA Program Worksheet.
Students admitted prior to Summer 2017 may elect to use the requirements in place at the time of their admission. To see the prior 2015 degree requirements, download a PDF of the 2015 CJ/MPA Program Worksheet.