The MPA – Educational Policy and Leadership Specialization is grounded on the conviction that students need a firm foundation in both public administration and public policy. Therefore, the coursework for the EPLC includes the completion of core foundation courses, specialized educational policy courses, and a capstone course.
Our MPA degree is designed to expose students to real life issues and provide for a learning environment where they are able to make connections between theory and practice, and ultimately the impact that high-quality school leadership has on student achievement.
Twelve (12.0) of the MPA degree’s required 42 credits are EPLC seminar credits, designed specifically to prepare students for roles in educational leadership and policymaking.
- Completion of 42 credits of course work
- Eighteen (18) credits Core of Common Knowledge courses
- Twelve (12) credits of Educational Policy and Leadership specialization courses
- Three or six (3-6) credits of Internship
- Three (3) credits of Final Capstone Research Workshop
- Three–six (3-6) credits from specialized elective courses (student to choose)
Core of Common Knowledge – Required (18 Credits)
501 Foundations of Policy Analysis
600 Education Law and Finance (replaces 503)
515 Introduction to Public Budgeting and Finance
525 Public and Nonprofit Management
535 Research Methods
536 Public Information Systems
Educational Policy & Leadership Specialization – Required (12 Credits)
522 Educational Supervision of Instruction*
557 Human Resources Management
558 Leadership and Communication (or Organizational Behavior?)
548 Developing Curriculum for Deep Learning*
Educational Policy Internship – Required (choose 1) (3-6 Credits)
543 Internship I (3 credits)* 150 hours
544 Internship II (6 credits) 300 hours
Capstone Requirement – Required (3 Credits)
621 Education Policy and Leadership (prereq: 535 Research Methods)
Education Policy & Leadership Specialization Electives – Choose 1-2 courses (3-6 Credits)
545 Models for Planning and Policy in Education
546 Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Education
547 Creating a Culture of Continuous Improvement*
549 Curriculum Leadership*
570 Labor Management Relations
56:834: Any MPA courses with the prefix 56:834
Total 42 Credits
* These courses can be used to fulfill the NJDOE requirements for Supervisor endorsement. Successful completion of this program meets the academic requirements for the following administrative or supervisory endorsements: (1) School Administrator endorsement required for any position that involves services as district level administrative officer (i.e., Superintendent, Assistant Superintendent, Director; (2) Principal endorsement required for any position that involves services as an administrative officer of a school or other comparable unit within a school district (i.e. Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, Principal, Assistant Principal, Vice-Principal and Director); (3) Supervisor endorsement required for both Supervisors of Instruction and Athletic Directors who do not hold a standard principal’s endorsement. For students matriculated prior to September 1, 2008, the 150-hour internship will fulfill NJDOE requirements for the supervisor and principal endorsements. For students matriculated after September 1, 2008, the 300-hour internship will fulfill the NJDOE requirements for the supervisor and principal endorsements.
To download a copy of the Educational Policy and Leadership Specialization Worksheet, click here.
Please contact the Faculty Coordinator for the MPA–Educational Policy and Leadership Specialization for more information on the program:
Dr. Gloria Bonilla-Santiago
321 Cooper Street
Camden, NJ 08102